Saturday, February 20, 2010

Am I the only one who reads?!

The other day I attended a workshop for a new school I'm enrolling in; University of Phoenix. We had to fill out this survey type of paper for our first assignment called "Confessions of a College Student" and one of the questions was what is your favorite book.

I was in a room of about 12 people, 4 of them (including myself) were female and almost everyone had said at least once out loud "I don't read, I don't have a favorite book". It made me feel like I was the only person in the room who didn't even know where to begin their list of favorite books. Even my husband wrote on his paper "I don't read". Which he doesn't, it makes you realize how many people don't take the time to read a book for fun.

Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't imagine a life where I didn't read books!

I mean, I know it's a persons own preference if they read books for pleasure or not, but doesn't it just make you wonder why they don't?

6 comments:

Christina T said...

That is very sad! I don't understand why people don't read. I know some people who do not read outside of work or school related assignments but it is odd to me. Perhaps these nonreaders were put off reading by school.

YA Book Queen said...

I honestly always feel so bad for people that say "I don't read", because they really are missing out. I think Christina is right, most of the people I know hate reading because they assume all books are like the one's they read in school.

Beth said...

Hi my name is Beth and I am visiting from the Saturday Network. I hear what you are saying about reading, but what I find more strange is the number of people who say they don't read, like my father, but who actually read 3-4 newspapers a day! I think many people assume reading is just books.

Jan von Harz said...

I hear this every year from my new eighth graders (especially the boys) when I tell them they are require to read independently at least two books every six weeks. Sadly, it is getting harder and harder to turn my kids onto reading. This is one reason I began blogging.

Stopped by via the Sat. Network and really like what I've read.Hope you will come check me out too.

PS. I got my second masters from UOP.

Jan von Harz said...

Hey Zel,

Me again. You asked about UOP and how I liked it. I did the whole masters online, and it way hard, but I did enjoy the rigor. The only thing I didn't like was the team work, mainly because I do not like leaving work to those who are not as committed as I am and there is always one or two who tend to be slackers. Other than that it was an amazing experience. I think you will enjoy the experience. My best in your endeavour.

My Book Barn said...

Hi, I found your blog searching for other "bookworms". I'm an avid reader, never without a book. Actually I just went to my local used bookstore today to see how many more I could add to my "to read shelf". I know reading is a personal choice & there are always going to be those who don't enjoy it. That being said I also think it's sad. I think a lot of it has to do with finding those books that interest you. A lot of people were just forced to read a particular book (for school, etc.) & didn't enjoy that book, so automatically say I don't like reading. I know I was that way when I was young & my mom thought she would never get me to read until one day she happened across a series of books & she picked it for me. Needless to say...all it took was that one genre of book to turn me into the bookworm I am today!