Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sweep: Book of Shadows

Yay, my first book review!

Sweep: Book of Shadows
By: Cate Tiernan


Book of Shadows is the first book in the Sweep series. I came across this book a few months ago at Barns & Nobles but I was on my way out so I didnt really get to scroll through and I had forgotten about it until I was going through the pictures on my phone. I looked it up on Amazon and read a few reviews, all of which were good. So I picked it up (along with The Siren by Kiera Cass and The Wonderful Welcome to Oz).

The book is about a girl named Morgan, her best friend Bree and the new guy, Cal. Cal invites everyone to a party which turns out to be some Wicca type of party out in the middle of nowhere. A few people leave and a few people stay, including Morgan and Bree.

The beginning of the book gave me a Twilight-Edward-and-Bella feel to it, just the way she described Cal, but that quickly faded once it got more into the Wicca aspects of it. Morgan, for some reason has this intense need and feeling to keep reading and learning more about Wicca, something she cant really describe since her family is raised either Catholic or Christian (sorry I dont remember!). Where are Bree, is just doing it to impress Cal.

I could easily relate to Morgan while reading this book, raised a Catholic and recently telling my mom I was Pagan... well my mom reacted the same way Morgan's mom did when she found her Wicca books. Also that strange need to just learn more about it, was something we had in common. The best friend deal hit a spot as well that week.

I would strongly suggest this book, it can be very addicting and it includes history and facts about a religion that I think is commonly misunderstood.

No comments: